Job Tracking Template
Job Tracking Template: What You Need To Know About Implementing One
What Is A Job Tracking Template?
Job tracking is crucial in the field services industry. It helps you to see what is happening on the ground. It can also help you determine(in real-time) if you have enough resources and time needed for each job you have on the books.
That is why you need to create or download a job tracking template somewhere within your database. That way you can keep track of multiple field projects at one time. You can also check on the status of the people doing the work. Find out if certain people are meeting their requirements or not.
Are they doing what needs to be done? Did you send the right people out for the job? How long is the initial timeline? Will there be a delay and, for how long? We will explore some of these things below.
What Are Some Of The Features Of The Job Tracking Template Spreadsheet?
Tracking templates provide different uses for different people. Some use it for their party planning business. Others use it for something more complex, including commercial and residential field projects that need to be completed within a specific time frame.
These templates are not a one-size-fits-all option. That is what makes these templates so valuable. There is a template for every person and activity.
1) The work-plan timeline. This is a great one if you have a simple project with multiple phases. Point of Interest: This program comes pre installed if you already have the job tracking template excel 2016 program.
2) There is the Gantt chart template. It is simple to use. All you do is create a template for a job. Enter the information including the start and finish dates. the people on the job, and the current cost.
You can find this under the Microsoft Excel default program. You can create one with a minimum of fuss. You can click https://support.office.com/en-us/article/present-your-data-in-a-gantt-chart-in-excel-f8910ab4-ceda-4521-8207-f0fb34d9e2b6 t get you started. It provides a visual image of the project and any necessary information you want to include.
3) There is a feature called, The Milestone and Task Project Timeline. Vertex42 has provided the necessary templates for you to use. This can be used along with the basic template. That way you get more advanced details about the project. This template feature combines the imagery of Gantt and the milestone timeline.
You can find this template feature easily enough. Just go into the Excel template and you will find it.
4) Another feature is the Excel Project Plan. It is formatted for Microsoft Word, but has the capacity for Excel charts. Now, if you only want something basic you can look under the job tracking template excel for Microsoft.
You want something more advanced, then you go with the first one mentioned.
5) There is an event planning feature. You can use the one-page version or the job tracking template spreadsheet. The one-page version is great if you need something simple. The spreadsheet involves more complex plans.
You can list the events you have, along with other information including the time of the event, the manpower needed, and the cost.
Tips On Using A Tracking Template
In this section, we will be discussing tips for using the template.
1) Let’s start with the obvious( or what many perceive as the obvious). You have to start embracing technology. The template offers an overview of what is happening. You have to trust that it will tell you what you need to know.
You also need to do other things like:
a) Keep everyone on track by stating which job belongs to whom. You cannot assume that your staff is going to know some of the more in-depth details.
You speak to two people about the same field project. After that conversation, they will start to assume the project is theirs. That is why you need to explain to them who gets the responsibility concerning what and when. Otherwise, you will have two people doing the same project.
b) Make sure to keep the communication as transparent as you can. Some people claim open communication, but they do the exact opposite when you are not looking.
c) Handle deadlines and expectations clearly and consistently. You cannot assume that everyone is on the same page about something. That is one reason why some deadlines are delayed or extended for a project. Some people are not able to handle their expectations correctly.
2) Have daily meetings. Some people assume that is called “micromanaging”, and it is not. Micromanaging is when you control everything that happens, regardless of how small it is. There is a difference.
Do you need to ask how you can help your staff? Will there be a delay? You should be aware of any delays that way you can tweak the deadline in the template.
3) Using the template is for those who are more results-driven. No one is going to care how many hours you worked as long as the project is on goal to be delivered on time.
Employees have been known to “kill some time” if they do not have a clear goal to work toward. The template helps provide motivation. Your employees are more likely to put more effort into the field project if they have the proper motivation.
4) Some employers like to focus more on the “time spent” than they do on the performance factor. You need to focus more on performance. and that will show in the template if you do it correctly.
What if you have a lazy employee? How does the template help them?
First things first, assuming the person is lazy is the wrong approach. There could be a reason why someone on your staff is not performing at their optimum levels.
What you can use the template to set up goals for those employees who need a little extra monitoring. Create a reward with the template that the person can enjoy after the work is done.
Sit down and talk to them. Find out why they are underperforming. Document the conversation in the template. This is all part of job tracking. Create follow-up meetings to discuss their success. The template will also give you an idea of whether or not the person is meeting their job goals or if more attention is needed.DOWNLOAD